The mission of the Office of Aquaculture is to foster marine aquaculture that creates employment and business opportunities in coastal communities; provides safe, sustainable seafood; and supports healthy ocean populations and ecosystems.
Aquaculture is one of a range of technologies needed to meet increasing global demand for seafood, support commercial and recreational fisheries, and restore species and marine habitat.
New Guide for Shellfish Growers
Check out the new guide released by the Interagency Working Group on Aquaculture to help shellfish growers navigate the permit process Read More . . .
New Aquaculture Task Force
The Marine Fisheries Advisory Committee (MAFAC) & NOAA Fisheries announce the formation of a new Task Force to support work on aquaculture. Read More . . .
NOAA Administrator Talks Aquaculture
NOAA Administrator Dr. Kathryn Sullivan's keynote at the SeaWeb Seafood Summit in New Orleans highlighted aquaculture's role in seafood sustainability for resiliency. Read More . . .
Film on Alaska King Crab Release Project
A film on the red king crab release project led by NOAA and partners was a winner at the Alaska Ocean Observing System film contest. Read More . . .
Seaweed in the Spotlight
A new collaborative project with Puget Sound Restoration Fund, NOAA and partners will investigate seaweed farming as a method to mitigate ocean acidification. Read More . . .
- Maine's aquaculture industry booms
- Fishing and farming: Maryland's oyster story
- Local CA mussel farm faces down obstacles
- Dietary guidelines: Eat fish, including farmed!
- Lockheed Martin partners up in aquaculture
- California abalone farms highlight sustainable aquaculture
- UN highlights aquaculture's role in seafood sustainability
- NC and VA Sea Grants Offer Marine Finfish Aquaculture Workshop
- NOAA Sea Grant Announces 2015 Aquaculture Extension & Technology Transfer Competition
- Graduate Fellowships in Sustainable Ecological Aquaculture
- Nominations Sought for Two New Task Forces of the Marine Fisheries Advisory Committee
- NOAA Announces Saltonstall-Kennedy Grants