Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands (BSAI) King and Tanner Crab Buyback Program
Congress authorized (Public Laws 106-554, 107-20 and 107-117) up to $100 million to finance a buyback program in the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands crab fisheries. In a reverse auction bidding process, this program permanently removed 25 fishing vessels and 62 fishing licenses and permits for $97,399,357 from the following crab fisheries: 1) Bristol Bay Red King; 2) Bering Sea Snow (Opilio) and Tanner (Bairdi); 3) Aleutian Island Golden (Brown) King; 4) Aleutian Island Red King; 5) Pribilof Red King and Pribilof Blue King; and 6) St. Matthew Blue.
Fees for repayment of the loan are authorized under section 312(d)(2)(C) of the Act and are to be paid on harvests of the above listed crab species. Fish sellers are required to pay the fee and all parties making the first ex-vessel purchase of the crab (“fish buyers”) are required to collect the fee (based on the crab's full delivery value), account for and forward the fee revenue to repay the loan. The current fee rates are: 1) Bristol Bay Red King – 2.5%; 2) Bering Sea Snow (Opilio) and Tanner (Bairdi) – 5.0%; 3) Aleutian Island Golden (Brown) King – 5.0%; 4) Aleutian Island Red King – 5.0%; 5) Pribilof Red King and Pribilof Blue King – 5.0%; and 6) St. Matthew Blue – 5.0%. The fee rate may not exceed five percent (5.0%) of the delivery value. Fee collection to repay the 30-year loan began on October 17, 2005. The interest rate is fixed at 6.54%.
Please see the links below for more information and visit Pay.gov to submit fee collection payments.
Click here for a summary of loan balances.
BSAI Crab Buyback Loan Fees are due by the 7th day of the month after the month in which landings occurred. Buyback fees received after that date are subject to a 1.5% per month (or portion thereof) late charge fee.
- BSAI Crab Fee Collection Report - 05/24/12 (PDF)
- BSAI Crab Buyback 2014-15 Season Annual Report (PDF)
- Crab Buyback Vessel Uses Letter - 3/13/09 (PDF)
- Fee Rate Adjustment Letter - 08/06/07 (PDF)
- CDQ Exempt from Fee Letter - 05/10/06 (PDF)
- Fee Payment Collection Instructional Letter - 09/19/05 (PDF)
Regulations & Notices
- BSAI Crab Fee Rate Adjustment Notice - 08/06/07 (PDF)
- Final Rule to Exempt CDQ Crab and Amend Fee Due Date - 05/10/06 (PDF)
- Fee System Final Rule - 09/16/05 (PDF)
- Reduction Payment Tender Notice - 11/24/04 (PDF)
- Crab Buyback Final Rule - 12/12/03 (PDF)
- Crab Buyback Proposed Rule - 12/12/02 (PDF)
Office of Management and Budget
1315 East West Highway
Silver Spring, MD 20910