MAFAC Meeting April
REPORT OF THE OUTREACH WORKING GROUP
The MAFAC Outreach Working Group met in Charleston, SC
on April 19 - 20, 2000 and submits the following report.
The Working Group believes that communication / outreach
- both external and internal -is the basis for many of the
problems faced by the National Marine Fisheries Service.
Group members heard many horror stories about miscommunication
or Iack of communication which make it evident that a more
structured system is needed. The Working Group forwards the
- NMFS needs a funded outreach program.
- A national constituent data base needs to be assembled
and used by the outreach program.
- The starting point for the data base should be the NMFS
- NMFS needs to establish internal tracking capability
to provide timely and accurate response to constiluent
- Improve the NMFS web site so that information most often
sought by constituents is readily available.
- NMFS needs to encourage, or if necessary direct, NMFS
regional employees to work more closely with constituents
in the field, including by working with other outreach
groups. In the future, NMFS needs to consider outreach
skills as a component of employee backgrounds.
- NMFS needs to take advantage of opportunities for research,
communication, and education offered by States and the
private sector, especially if NMFS does not have the resources
available to meet its needs.