- Fisheries Home
- About Us
- Science Centers
- News & Multimedia
- Fisheries Resources
- Educators and Students
- Get Involved
Working in close coordination with multiple federal agencies allows our special agents and enforcement officers to maximize their efforts. For example, we work with the U.S. Coast Guard—the nation’s leading maritime law enforcement agency—who enforce or assist in the enforcement of all applicable laws on, under, and over the high seas and waters subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. In addition, we work with various federal partners, such as the U.S. Attorney’s Office, to determine the appropriate prosecution method for an offense.
These partnerships are mutually supporting as our special agents and enforcement officers routinely assist other federal agencies with marine law enforcement training issues, such as warrants, surveillance, border inspections, information, and other necessary support.
With the increase in U.S. Homeland Security and cross-agency collaboration, our expertise applies to various task forces and security activities, including border operations, checkpoints, dock patrols, and inter-agency meetings.
Coast Guard Cutter Knight Island on patrol.
U.S. Coast Guard
NOAA works closely with the U.S. Coast Guard. The U.S. Coast Guard is our main enforcement partner.
U.S. Department of Justice
NOAA’s Enforcement Program also works closely with the U.S. Department of Justice's Environment and Natural Resources Division and with the United States Attorneys Office. NOAA Law Enforcement investigates alleged violations and produces case packages, NOAA General Counsel’s Enforcement Section handles civil cases for possible prosecution, and the U.S. Department of Justice or U.S. Attorneys Offices handle criminal cases for possible prosecution.
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
- Drug Enforcement Administration
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
Other Federal Partners
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- U.S. Forest Service
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Food and Drug Administration
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Bureau of Customs and Border Protection
- U.S. Department of the Interior
- Bureau of Land Management
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service