- Fisheries Home
- About Us
- Science Centers
- News & Multimedia
- Fisheries Resources
- Educators and Students
- Get Involved
- OPR Home
- Health & Stranding
- Laws & Policies
- Conservation & Recovery
- About OPR
Consulting with Federal Agencies (ESA Section 7)
- SURTASS LFA Sonar & Issuance of MMPA Letters of Authorization for 2014-2015
(August 13, 2014)
- Reinitiated: Navy activities on the Northwest Training Range Complex (NWTRC)
(August 1, 2014)
- Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory Seismic Survey in Atlantic Ocean off New Jersey
(July 1, 2014)
- Proposal to Issue Permit 18016 for Cook Inlet beluga whale research in Alaska
(May 29, 2014)
- EPA's Regulations for Section 316(b) of the Clean Water Act
(May 19, 2014)
Federal agencies are directed, under section 7(a)(1) of the Endangered Species Act (ESA), to utilize their authorities to carry out programs for the conservation of threatened and endangered species. Federal agencies must also consult with NMFS, under section 7(a)(2) of the ESA, on activities that may affect a listed species.
These interagency consultations, or section 7 consultations, are designed to assist Federal agencies in fulfilling their duty to ensure Federal actions do not jeopardize the continued existence of a species or destroy or adversely modify critical habitat.
Should an action be determined by NMFS to jeopardize a species or adversely modify critical habitat, NMFS will suggest Reasonable and Prudent Alternatives (RPAs).
Biological opinions document NMFS' opinion as to whether the Federal action is likely to jeopardize the continued existence of listed species, or result in the destruction or adverse modification of critical habitat. Where appropriate, biological opinions provide an exemption for the "take" of listed species while specifying the extent of take allowed, the Reasonable and Prudent Measures (RPMs) necessary to minimize impacts from the Federal action, and the Terms and Conditions with which the action agency must comply.
NMFS also follows additional policies, guidance, and regulations associated with Section 7.
- Biological Opinions Issued
- Consultation Query in Public Consultation Tracking System (PCTS)
Note: PCTS works best in Mozilla Firefox.
Updated: June 16, 2014