- Fisheries Home
- About Us
- Science Centers
- News & Multimedia
- Fisheries Resources
- Educators and Students
- Get Involved
- OPR Home
- Health & Stranding
- Laws & Policies
- Conservation & Recovery
- About OPR
Consulting with Federal Agencies (ESA Section 7)
- Geophysical survey by NSF in Scotia Sea and South Atlantic Ocean
(September 19, 2014)
- Seismic survey by NSF/ Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory along North Carolina's Outer Banks
(September 12, 2014)
- Proposal to Modify Permit 16087 for research on Guadalupe fur seals
(September 11, 2014)
- Seismic survey by USGS along U.S. East Coast
(August 21, 2014)
- SURTASS LFA Sonar & Issuance of MMPA Letters of Authorization for 2014-2015
(August 13, 2014)
- Reinitiated: Navy activities on the Northwest Training Range Complex (NWTRC)
(August 1, 2014)
Federal agencies are directed, under section 7(a)(1) of the Endangered Species Act (ESA), to utilize their authorities to carry out programs for the conservation of threatened and endangered species. Federal agencies must also consult with NMFS, under section 7(a)(2) of the ESA, on activities that may affect a listed species.
These interagency consultations, or section 7 consultations, are designed to assist Federal agencies in fulfilling their duty to ensure Federal actions do not jeopardize the continued existence of a species or destroy or adversely modify critical habitat.
Should an action be determined by NMFS to jeopardize a species or adversely modify critical habitat, NMFS will suggest Reasonable and Prudent Alternatives (RPAs).
Biological opinions document NMFS' opinion as to whether the Federal action is likely to jeopardize the continued existence of listed species, or result in the destruction or adverse modification of critical habitat. Where appropriate, biological opinions provide an exemption for the "take" of listed species while specifying the extent of take allowed, the Reasonable and Prudent Measures (RPMs) necessary to minimize impacts from the Federal action, and the Terms and Conditions with which the action agency must comply.
NMFS also follows additional policies, guidance, and regulations associated with Section 7.
- Biological Opinions Issued
- Consultation Query in Public Consultation Tracking System (PCTS)
Note: PCTS works best in Mozilla Firefox.
Updated: September 24, 2014