Meeting 1: False Killer Whale Take Reduction Team
Meeting 1: February 17-19, 2010
- Post-Meeting Follow-up Documents
- Key Outcomes Memorandum [pdf]
- Handouts and Reference Materials
- Meeting Documents
- Observer Data Fields [xls]
- Observer Program Species Codes (pre-2010) [pdf]
- Bayse and Kerstetter 2010 - Assessing bycatch reduction potential of variable strength hooks [pdf]
- NMFS 2008 - Project Report for Gulf of Mexico Pelagic Longline Bluefin Tuna Mitigation Research (weak circle hooks) [pdf]
- NMFS 2009 - Update on Gulf of Mexico Pelagic Longline Bluefin Tuna Mitigation Research (weak circle hooks) [pdf]
- Barlow & Rankin 2007 - FWK Abundance and Density
- Barlow 2006 - Cetacean abundance in Hawaiian waters
- Chivers et al 2007 - Genetic variation and evidence for population structure
- False Killer Whale TRT Websites
- GAMMS I report
- Marine Mammal Handling and Release Placard (2010-02-09)
- Meeting Timeline & Focus
- Observer forms for all FKW and Unidentified cetacean interactions
- Observer Forms (blank)
- Observer Manual
*Day 1: February 17, 2010
- Meeting purpose, agenda, & groundrules - CONCUR
- FKW Take Reduction Process Overview - N_Young & K_Long
- TRT Scope - N_Young
- False Killer Whale Assessments - E_Oleson
- False Killer Whale Biology - E_Oleson
*Day 2: February 18, 2010
- Overview of Day 2 agenda - CONCUR
- Fishery Observer Program & Interactions Overview - K_Forney
- Stakeholder Assessment - CONCUR
- Hawaii Longline Fishery - P_Dalzell
- Lessons Learned - E_Oleson
- Lessons Learned from Other TRTs - K_Long
- Atlantic Pelagic Longline Take Reduction Team - L_Engleby
- Observer Data Patterns - K_Forney
*Day 3: February 19, 2010
- Overview of Day 3 agenda - CONCUR
- Research Needs - E_Oleson & K_Forney
- Meeting Schedule & Website - CONCUR
1. General Meeting Information
- Team Member and Alternate List
- Proposed Ground Rules
- CONCUR Introduction/Bios
- CONCUR Stakeholder Assessment Report: Interviews Summary
2. Process Overview
Note on Orientation section
3. Background Information
- Draft 2009 Stock Assessment Report (SAR) for FKW
- Forney, K.A. 2009 Serious injury determinations for cetaceans caught in Hawaii longline fisheries during 1994-2008. Draft document PSRG-2009-09 presented to the Pacific Scientific Review Group, November 3-5, 2009, Del Mar, CA.
- Table of Pacific Islands Region Cetacean Mortalities and Serious Injuries and Potential Biological Removal Levels (PBR)
- Revisions to Guidelines for Assessing Marine Mammal Stocks (GAMMS II)
- Differentiating Serious and Non-Serious Injury of Marine Mammals: Report of the Serious Injury Technical Workshop, 10-13 September 2007, Seattle, Washington
- 90-Day Finding on a Petition to List the Insular Population of Hawaiian False Killer Whales as an Endangered Species (75 FR 316, January 5, 2010)
4. False Killer Whale Papers
- Baird, R.W. 2009. A review of false killer whales in Hawaiian waters: biology, status, and risk factors. Report prepared for the U.S. Marine Mammal Commission under Order Number E40475499, December 23, 2009, 41 pp.
- Baird, R.W., A.M. Gorgone, D.J. McSweeney, D.L. Webster, D.R. Salden, M.H. Deakos, A.D. Ligon, G.S. Schorr, J. Barlow, and S.D. Mahaffy. 2008. False killer whale (Pseudorca crassidens) around the main Hawaiian Islands: Long-term site fidelity, inter-island movements, and association patterns. Marine Mammal Science 24(3): 591-612.
- Madsen, P.T., I. Kerr, and R. Payne. 2004. Echolocation clicks of two free-ranging, oceanic delphinids with different food preferences: false killer whales (Pseudorca crassidens) and Risso’s dolphins (Grampus griseus). Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 207: 1811-1823.
- Yuen, M.M.L., P.E. Nachtigall, M. Breese, and A.Ya. Supin. 2005. Behavioral and auditory evoked potential audiograms of a false killer whale (Pseudorca crassidens). Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 118(4): 2688-2695.
- Reference list of additional false killer whale bioacoustics papers
5. Longline Fishery Information
- Swenarton, T. and S. Beverly. 2004. Documentation and classification of fishing gear and technology on board pelagic longline vessels: Hawaii module. Working Paper for the 17th Meeting of the Standing Committee on Tuna and Billfish, Majuro, Marshall Islands, 9-18 August 2004, INF-FTWG-2, 17 pp.
- Pooley, S. 1993. Hawaii's Marine Fisheries: Some History, Long-term Trends, and Recent Developments. Marine Fisheries Review 55(2): 7-19.
- Boggs, C.H. and R.Y. Ito. 1993. Hawaii's Pelagic Fisheries. Marine Fisheries Review 55(2): 69-82.
- Pacific Pelagic Fisheries Overview- Western Pacific Regional Fisheries Management Council (http://wpcouncil.org/pelagic-fisheriestoday.html)
- Sociocultural Assessments
6. Observer Reports
- 1994-2001 Annual Reports: HI Longline
- 2002-2009 Annual Reports: HI Longline Deep-set
- 2002 Annual Report HI Longline Deep-set
- 2003 Annual Report HI Longline Deep-set
- 2004 Annual Report HI Longline Deep-set
- 2005 Annual Report HI Longline Deep-set
- 2006 Annual Report HI Longline Deep-set
- 2007 Annual Report HI Longline Deep-set
- 2008 Annual Report HI Longline Deep-set
- 2009 Annual Report HI Longline Deep-set
- 2004-2009 Annual Reports: HI Longline Shallow-Set
- Example Marine Mammal Biological Data Forms
7. Lessons Learned
- Atlantic Pelagic Longline Take Reduction Plan
- Summary of existing TRP measures (will be provided at meeting)
- The Western Pacific Regional Fishery Management Council's Marine Mammal Advisory Committee (MMAC)
- Reports from Workshops Addressing the Depredation Issue
- Report of the Workshop on Interactions between cetaceans and longline fisheries, 11-15 November 2002, Apia, Samoa
- Relevant abstracts and workshop summaries from the Vancouver Aquarium's Symposium on Fisheries Depredation by Killer and Sperm Whales (Behavioural Insights, Behavioural Solutions), October 2-5, 2006, British Columbia, Canada
- Report of the Workshop on the Depredation in the Tuna Longline Fisheries in the Indian Ocean, 9-10 July 2007, Victoria, Seychelles
- Acoustic Research on Depradation
- Mooney, T.A., A.F. Pacini, and P.E. Nachtigall. 2009. False killer whale (Pseudorca crassidens) echolocation and acoustic disruption: implications for longline bycatch and depredation. Canadian Journal of Zoology 87: 726-733.
- Thode, A., J. Straley, C.O. Tiemann, K. Folkert, and V. O'Connell. 2007. Observations of potential acoustic cues that attract sperm whales to longline fishing in the Gulf of Alaska. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 122(2): 1265-1277.
- McPherson, G., P. Turner, C. McPherson, and D. Cato. 2003. Testing of acoustic tracking system for toothed whales around longline and gillnet fishing gear, and preliminary trials of depredation mitigation devices for longline fisheries. Project Report (R02/0923). Report to Eastern Tuna Management Advisory Committee, Southern and Western Tuna and Billfish Management Advisory Committee and Australian Fisheries Management Authority, 37 pp.
- Moreno, C.A., R. Castro, L.J. Mújica, and P. Reyes. 2008. Significant conservation benefits obtained from the use of a new fishing gear in the Chilean Patagonian toothfish fishery. CCAMLR Science 15: 79-91.
- Other Relevant Information