Meeting 5: False Killer Whale Take Reduction Team
July 27-29, 2011
Honolulu, Oahu, HI
Day 1: July 27, 2011
- Agenda and Ground Rules - CONCUR [pdf]
- Preliminary serious injury determinations for observed false killer whale entanglements or hookings in Hawaii-based longline fisheries (Jan 2009 - May 2011) - Forney [pdf]
- HICEAS update July 2011 - Oleson [pdf]
- Longline acoustic monitoring - Oleson [pdf]
- Hawaii weak circle hook research - Boggs [pdf]
- Lessons Learned Report - CONCUR [pdf]
- Proposed False Killer Whale Take Reduction Plan - Young [pdf]
Day 3: July 29, 2011
Handouts and Reference Material
- Developing a Comprehensive Strategy for Evaluating the Effectiveness of MMPA Take Reduction Plans (including Appendix) [pdf]
- Alternative SEZ Trigger Calculations [xls]
- Proposed rule to require weak circle hooks in Gulf of Mexico pelagic longline fishery [pdf]
- Updated Draft Ground Rules
- Lessons Learned report
- Proposed Rule
- Draft Environmental Assessment, Regulatory Impact Review, and Initial Regulatory Flexibility Analysis
- Bigelow et al. 2011, "Catch rates with variable strength circle hooks and the potential to reduce false killer whale injury in the Hawaii-based tuna longline fleet."
- Forney 2010, "Serious injury determinations for cetaceans caught in Hawaii longline fisheries during 1994-2008."
- Forney et al. 2011, "What's the catch? Patterns of cetacean bycatch and depredation in Hawaii-based pelagic longline fisheries."
- Final 2010 Stock Assessment Report (SAR)
- McCracken 2010, "Adjustments to False Killer Whale and Short-finned Pilot Whale Bycatch Estimates."
- Protected Species Workshop presentation (emailed to Team)
- Longline Fishery Observer Program Reports
Updated: September 13, 2011