- Fisheries Home
- About Us
- Science Centers
- News & Multimedia
- Fisheries Resources
- Educators and Students
- Get Involved
- OPR Home
- Health & Stranding
- Laws & Policies
- Conservation & Recovery
- About OPR
ESA, MMPA, NEPA, and Other Laws
The Office of Protected Resources operates under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA), and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), as well as the following other treaties, laws, and policies.
- Administrative Procedure Act
Keeps the public informed of the organization, procedures, and rules of Federal agencies, provides for public participation, and prescribes uniform standards.
» Full Text of the APA [pdf] [92 KB]
- Animal Welfare Act
Ensures humane treatment of animals intended for research, exhibition, or pets, and regulates their transportation, purchase, sale, housing, care, and handling.
- Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES)
Ensures that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival; in the U.S., implemented by Section 8 of the Endangered Species Act.
- Coastal Zone Management Act
Provides for the preservation, protection, development, restoration, and enhancement of the resources of the Nation's coastal zone for this and succeeding generations.
- Data Quality Act
Also known as the Information Quality Act, the Act was issued as Public Law 106-554. NOAA issued its Information Quality Guidelines on October 1, 2002.
- National Marine Sanctuaries Act (NMSA) authorizes the Secretary of Commerce to designate and protect areas of the marine environment with special national significance due to their conservation, recreational, ecological, historical, scientific, cultural, archeological, educational or esthetic qualities as national marine sanctuaries.
- NOAA Policy on the Data Quality Act
- Fish and Wildlife Coordination Act
Protects fish and wildlife when Federal actions impact a natural stream or body of water.
- Fur Seal Act (FSA) [pdf] [61 KB]
Prohibits the taking of North Pacific fur seals, except by Alaska natives for subsistence purposes or by permit from NOAA Fisheries.
- Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act
Provides for the conservation and management of fishery resources of the U.S.
- Oceans Act
Established a commission to make recommendations for a coordinated and comprehensive national ocean policy.
Updated: March 2016