Skip to Page Content
banner top art gif
office title gif
NOAA Fisheries
Office of Protected Resources
Acropora palmata thicket on Mona Island, Puerto Rico. Andy Bruckner, 1996Coho salmon painting, Canadian Dept of Fisheries and OceansMonk seal, C.E. BowlbyHumpback whale, Dr. Lou Herman
banner art gif
Application Types
Apply Online (APPS)
Endangered Species Permits
Marine Mammal Permits
Permit Regulation Revisions
Review Select Permits & Applications
  Contact OPR
OPR Site Map

inner curve gif

Permits and Authorizations

pilot whale swimming in the water with a biopsy dart
Pilot Whale with biopsy dart
(Globicephala macrorhyncus)
Photo: NOAA Southwest Fisheries Science Center

Permits and authorizations are required under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) to conduct activities that may result in the "take" of a protected species.

Do I Need a Permit?
Please fill out our Pre-Application Guide questionnaire to determine the type(s) of permit you might need.

How Do I Apply for a Permit?
» Apply online using our APPS program (select permits only).
» Apply by mail using the appropriate application instructions.

Marine Mammal Permits
» Application Types
» Regulation Revisions

Endangered Species Permits
» Application Types
» Coral Research

Environmental Impact Statements
» Hawaiian Monk Seal Recovery Actions
» Steller Sea Lion and Northern Fur Seal Research
» Right Whale Research

NOAA logo Department of Commerce logo