More Information: Right Whale Ship Strikes
- Environmental Impact Statement
- Press Release on Effective Date of Speed Regulations [pdf]
- Press Release on Final Rule [pdf]
- Proposed Rule
- Press Release on the 2009 ATBA and TSS [pdf]
- Proposal to the IMO on the 2009 ATBA in Great South Channel [pdf]
- Proposal to the IMO on the 2009 Boston TSS [pdf]
- Charts of new Approaches to Boston TSS and Area to be Avoided
- Boston TSS 2007 Press Release [pdf]
- Proposal to the International Maritime Organization (IMO) on 2007 Shifting the Traffic Separation Scheme (TSS) into Boston [pdf]
- U.S. Coast Guard Port Access Route Study (PARS) [pdf]
- Federal Register Notice of Port Access Route Study (PARS) of area south and east of Cape Cod Bay [pdf]
(Published 11/19/2007; 72 FR 64968)
Free Interactive Guide for Commercial Mariners
NOAA Fisheries is pleased to announce a computer-based, interactive guide and training resource for shipboard operations as they relate to avoiding ship-strike interactions with North Atlantic right whales. Download A Prudent Mariner's Guide to Right Whale Protection CD-ROM, updated April 2009.
- Large Whale Ship Strike Database [pdf] [3.3 MB], Jensen, A.S. and G.K. Silber. 2003. NOAA Tech Memo NMFS-OPR-25.
- Hydrodynamics of a ship/whale collision [pdf]
- Vessel Operations in Right Whale Protection Areas in 2009 [pdf]
- Characterization of Ship Traffic in Right Whale Critical Habitat [pdf] [588 KB]
- Simple analyses of ship and large whale collisions: Does speed kill? [pdf]
- Applying a Spatial Model to Evaluate the Risk of Interactions Between Vessels and Right Whales in the Southeast U.S. Critical Habitat [pdf] [4.4 MB], L.P. Garrison, 2005.
- ANPR on Proposed Right Whale Ship Strike Strategy (6/1/04) [pdf] [1.0 MB]
Updated: February 25, 2013