- Fisheries Home
- About Us
- Science Centers
- News & Multimedia
- Fisheries Resources
- Educators and Students
- Get Involved
- OPR Home
- Health & Stranding
- Laws & Policies
- Conservation & Recovery
- About OPR
Southern Right Whale
Photo: Michaël CATANZARITI
Vaquita (Gulf of California harbor porpoise) photo taken under SEMARNAT permit (Oficio No. DR/488/08) within a natural protected area in Mexico.
Credit: Paula Olson (NOAA Contractor)
Under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), we must list species as endangered or threatened regardless of where they are found. If a species occurs exclusively in foreign waters, we refer to it as a "foreign species." To date, there are 36 listed foreign species under NMFS jurisdiction.
How are foreign species listed under the Endangered Species Act (ESA)?
The listing process for a foreign species is no different than the listing process for any other species under the ESA.
How are foreign species protected by the ESA?
Benefits of ESA protection to foreign species are primarily realized in the form of restrictions on trade and may include prohibitions on certain activities including import, export, take, commercial activity, interstate commerce, and foreign commerce.
In addition, listing under the ESA can also increase global awareness of the threats faced by the species, which may fuel conservation efforts for the species in its range countries.
Is critical habitat designated for foreign species?
No, we cannot designate critical habitat in foreign waters. We can only designate critical habitat in waters under U.S. jurisdiction.
Endangered and Threatened Foreign Species under NMFS' Jurisdiction
- dolphin, Chinese River / baiji (Lipotes vexillifer)
- dolphin, Indus River (Platanista minor)
- porpoise, Gulf of California harbor / vaquita / Cochito (Phocoena sinus)
- seal, bearded (Erignathus barbatus) - 1 DPS
- seal, Mediterranean monk (Monachus monachus)
- seal, ringed (Phoca hispida) - 4 subspecies
- seal, spotted (Phoca largha) - 1 DPS
- whale, gray (Eschrichtius robustus) - 1 DPS
- whale, Southern right whale (Eubalaena australis)
- turtle, loggerhead (Caretta caretta) - 7 DPS
- Mediterranean Sea DPS of loggerhead turtle
- North Indian Ocean DPS of loggerhead turtle
- Northeast Atlantic Ocean DPS of loggerhead turtle
- South Atlantic Ocean DPS of loggerhead turtle
- South Pacific Ocean DPS of loggerhead turtle
- Southeast Indo-Pacific Ocean DPS of loggerhead turtle
- Southwest Indian Ocean DPS of loggerhead turtle
- sawfish, dwarf (Pristis clavata)
- sawfish, green (Pristis zijsron)
- sawfish, narrow (Anoxypristis cuspidata)
- sawfish, smalltooth (Pristis pectinata) - 1 DPS
- shark, scalloped hammerhead (Sphyrna lewini) - 1 DPS
- sturgeon, Adriatic (Acipenser naccarii)
- sturgeon, Chinese (Acipenser sinensis)
- sturgeon, European (Acipenser sturio)
- sturgeon, Kaluga (Huso dauricus)
- sturgeon, Sakhalin (Acipenser mikadoi)
- totoaba (Totoaba macdonaldi)
- Acropora lokani
- Acropora pharaonis
- Acropora tenella
- Anacropora spinosa
- Montipora australiensis
- Porites napopora
Updated: December 12, 2014