Petition to Conduct a Status Review of the Eastern North Pacific Population of Gray Whales (Eschrichtius robustus) under the Marine Mammal Protection Act
On October 21, 2010, NMFS received a petition from the California Gray Whale Coalition requesting a status review for the Eastern North Pacific (ENP) stock of gray whales under the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA). The petition, the agency's finding, and related information are below.
(All documents are in PDF format.)
|60-Day Petition Finding||75 FR 81225||12/27/2010|
|Extension of Public Comment Period||75 FR 70903||11/19/2010|
|Notification of Availability||75 FR 68756||11/09/2010|
|Petition to Conduct a Status Review of the Eastern North Pacific Population of Gray Whales (Eschrichtius robustus) under the Marine Mammal Protection Act||10/21/2010|
Literature Cited in Petition Finding:
- Allen, B. M., and R. P. Angliss. 2010. Draft Alaska marine mammal stock assessments, 2010. http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/sars/ak2010_draft.pdf
- Alter, S. A., E. Rynes, and S. R. Palumbi. 2007. DNA evidence for historic population size and past ecosystem impacts of gray whales. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 104(38):15162-15167. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1975855/
- Angliss, R. P., and R. B. Outlaw. 2008. Alaska marine mammal stock assessments, 2007. U.S. Dep. Commer., NOAA Tech. Memo. NMFSAFSC- 180, 252 p. http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/sars/ak2007.pdf
- Barlow, Jay, Steven L. Swartz, Thomas C. Eagle, and Paul R. Wade. 1995. U.S. Marine Mammal Stock Assessments: Guidelines for Preparation, Background, and a Summary of the 1995 Assessments. U.S. Dep. Commer., NOAA Tech. Memo. NMFS-OPR-6, 73 p. http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/sars/guidelines1995.pdf
- Boehlert, G. W, G. R. McMurray, and C. E. Tortorici (editors). 2008. Ecological effects of wave energy in the Pacific Northwest. U.S. Dept. Commerce, NOAA Tech. Memo. NMFS-F/SPO-92, 174 p. http://spo.nwr.noaa.gov/tm/Wave%20Energy%20NOAATM92%20for%20web.pdf
- Laake, J., A. Punt, R. Hobbs, M. Ferguson, D. Rugh, and J. Breiwick. 2009. Re-analysis of gray whale southbound migration surveys, 1967-2006. U.S. Dep. Commer. NOAA Tech. Memo. NMFS-AFSC-203, 56 p. http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/Publications/AFSC-TM/NOAA-TM-AFSC-203.pdf
- International Whaling Commission. 2010. Report of the Scientific Committee. Annex E. Report of the Standing Working Group (SWG) on the Development of an Aboriginal Subsistence Whaling Management Procedure (AWMP). Agadir, Morocco. http://iwcoffice.org/_documents/commission/IWC62docs/62-Rep3.pdf
- International Whaling Commission. 2005. Report of the Scientific Committee. Annex E. Report of the Standing Working Group (SWG) on the Development of an Aboriginal Subsistence Whaling Management Procedure (AWMP). Appendix 3. Fishery Type 2: Implementation for Eastern North Pacific gray whales. J. Cetacean Res. Manage. (Suppl.) 7:127-38.
- Perryman, W. L., Donahue, M. A., Perkins, P. C. and Reilly, S. B. 2002a. Gray whale calf production 1994-2000: Are observed fluctuations related to changes in seasonal ice cover? Mar. Mamm. Sci. 18:121-144. http://swfsc.noaa.gov/uploadedFiles/Divisions/PRD/Programs/Photogrammetry/GrayWhale02.pdf
- Perryman W. L., Watters, G. M. and Swarz, L. K. 2002b. Examination of the relationship between seasonal ice and calf production in the Eastern Pacific population of gray whales. Paper SC/54/BRG4 Presented to the IWC Scientific Committee. http://lsiecosystem.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Gray-Whale-Seasonal-Ice-Calf-ProdIWCBRG4.pdf
- Perryman, W. L., Reilly, S. B. and Rowlett, R. A. 2010. Results of surveys of northbound gray whale calves 2001-2009 and examination of the full sixteen-year series of estimates from the Piedras Blancas Light Station. Paper SC/62/BRG1 Presented to the IWC Scientific Committee. http://iwcoffice.org/_documents/sci_com/SC62docs/SC-62-BRG1.pdf
- Punt, A. E., and P. R. Wade. 2010. Population status of the eastern North Pacific stock of gray whales in 2009, 43 p. NOAA Tech. Memo. NMFS-AFSC-207, 43 p. http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/Publications/AFSC-TM/NOAA-TM-AFSC-207.pdf
- Rugh, D., J. Breiwick, M. M. Muto, R. Hobbs, K. Shelden, C. D'vincent, I. M. Laursen, S. Reif, S.Maher, and S. Nilson. 2008. Report of the 2006-2007 census of the eastern north Pacific stock of gray whales. AFSC Processed Rep. 2008-03, 157 p. Alaska Fish. Sci. Cent., NOAA, Natl. Mar. Fish. Serv., 7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle WA 98115. ttp://www.afsc.noaa.gov/Publications/ProcRpt/PR2008-03.pdf
- Wade, P. R. 2002. A Bayesian stock assessment of the eastern North Pacific gray whale using abundance and harvest data from 1967 to 1996. J. Cetacean Res. Manage. 4(1):85-98.
- Wade, P. R., and W. Perryman. 2002. An assessment of the eastern gray whale population in 2002. Unpubl. doc. submitted to Int. Whal. Comm. (SC/54/BRG7). 16 pp. http://iwcoffice.org/_documents/sci_com/workshops/MSYR/SC-54-BRG7.pdf