HMS Electronic Dealer Reporting System
On August 8, 2012, NOAA Fisheries published a final rule (77 FR 47303) that modified existing Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (HMS) dealer reporting regulations for Atlantic sharks, swordfish, and bigeye, albacore, yellowfin, skipjack (BAYS) tunas.
- Since January 1, 2013, all Atlantic HMS dealers have been required to report commercially-harvested Atlantic sharks, swordfish, and BAYS tunas through one centralized electronic reporting system.
- Dealers must submit reports on a weekly basis (Sunday to Saturday), no later than midnight, local time, of the first Tuesday following the end of the reporting week. Reports are required whether dealers bought HMS during that weekly reporting period (i.e., a “positive” report) or did not buy HMS during that weekly reporting period (i.e., a “negative” report). Dealers must continue reporting bluefin tuna through the existing landing card fax system.
- These requirements are not new if you hold a Northeast Region federal dealer permit and already report electronically using the Standard Atlantic Fisheries Information System (SAFIS) or Trip tickets. You may use your current program to continue to submit federal reports including HMS, and will notice that several new HMS-related data elements have been incorporated.
Electronic Dealer Reporting (eDealer) System
The new eDealer system allows you to electronically submit all data for HMS except bluefin tuna. For dealers who are currently reporting using paper forms, the system requires submission of the information requested on the prior paper forms along with a number of new data elements necessary for management of HMS.
- The eDealer system is integrated with existing electronic reporting programs, including SAFIS and different versions of Trip Tickets.
- If you already use one of these programs, you will notice several new HMS data elements. In the Southeast and the Gulf of Mexico, beginning January 1, you can also use it to report Atlantic sharks, swordfish, and BAYS tunas to meet your Federal Atlantic HMS dealer reporting requirements.
- If you are currently reporting through one of these programs in the Northeast, you will be able to continue to use this program to meet your Federal Atlantic HMS dealer reporting requirements.
- If you are a dealer who is new to electronic reporting or an HMS-only dealer, please contact us at (301) 427-8590 regarding which program to use and access information. We can assist dealers during our normal business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions for additional information on the electronic dealer reporting requirements.
|Reporting Programs||Useful Documents||Contact Us|
|HMS eDealer Program||eDealer Final Rule||(301) 427-8590|
|SAFIS||eDealer Final Rule email notice||HMS.DealerReports@noaa.gov|
|Trip Tickets, Bluefin Data LLC||List of Training Workshops|
|eDealer Compliance Guide|
|Optional Fishing Vessel Form|
|eDealer Program User Guide|
|HMS Catch Area Map|