Amendment 5a to the 2006 Consolidated HMS Fishery Management Plan: Atlantic Shark Management Measures
Draft Amendment 5 to the 2006 Consolidated HMS FMP (77 FR 73029) proposed measures that were designed to reduce fishing mortality and effort in order to rebuild various overfished Atlantic shark species, including dusky sharks, while ensuring that a limited sustainable shark fishery for certain species could be maintained. After considering all of the public comments on Draft Amendment 5 NMFS split Amendment 5 into two rulemakings: Amendment 5a (scalloped hammerhead, sandbar, blacknose, and Gulf of Mexico blacktip sharks) and Amendment 5b (dusky sharks)
The final rule for Amendment 5a to the 2006 Consolidated Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (HMS) Fishery Management Plan (FMP) was published in July 2013. The Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS), including the final actions identified for Amendment 5a, was made available in April 2013.
This rulemaking implements measures to:
- Maintain the rebuilding of sandbar sharks.
- End overfishing and rebuilds scalloped hammerhead and Atlantic blacknose sharks.
- Establish total allowable catches (TAC) and commercial quotas for Gulf of Mexico blacknose and blacktip sharks.
- Establish new recreational shark fishing management measures.
The final TACs and quota measures were effective on July 3, 2013, and recreational measures were effective on August 2, 2013. In addition, the final rule implemented new quotas for the rest of the 2013 fishing year.
The final rule, draft amendment, and related documents are below.
Final Amendment 5a
- Final Amendment 5a to the Consolidated Atlantic HMS FMP, July 2013 – Federal Register Notice (as filed) | Listserv Notice
- Amendment 5a Compliance Guide
- Final Environmental Impact Statement for Amendment 5a to the Consolidated Atlantic HMS FMP, April 2013 (entire document) | Listserv Notice
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement for Amendment 5 to the Consolidated Atlantic HMS FMP, November 2012 (entire document)
- Proposed Rule – Federal Register Notice | Listserv Notice
- Public Hearing Schedule – Federal Register Notice | Listserv Notice
- Public Hearing Schedule Update – Federal Register Notice | Listserv Notice
- Public Hearing Presentation
- January 9, 2013 Conference Call/Webinar – Participant List | Transcripts
- Predraft for Amendment 5 to the Consolidated Atlantic HMS FMP, March 2012 (entire document)
- Predraft Presentation
- NOAA Fisheries Makes Stock Status Determinations and Requests Comments on Future Options to Manage Atlantic Shark Fisheries
- Federal Register Notice, October 6, 2011
- Issues/Options Presentation
For shark stock assessment information, please visit the Sharks page.