- Fisheries Home
- About Us
- Science Centers
- Fisheries Resources
- Educators and Students
- News & Multimedia
- Get Involved
Sign up forFishNews
and other email updates
- In the Spotlight
- Our Work
- Regional News
- All Stories
Habitat Restoration: An Economic EngineSeptember 4, 2012
To see more cool videos, visit the NOAA Fisheries YouTube channel.
|Habitat Restoration Facts|
1. Restoration projects create between 17-33 jobs per $1 million invested. Check it out.
2. These types of projects generate more jobs than traditional construction.The oil and gas sector only creates roughly 5 jobs per $1 million invested, while road infrastructure generates 7 jobs per $1 million invested.
3. Unlike other sectors, restoration jobs can’t be outsourced—they are local, and they bring a lot of benefits to the local economy.
4. A report by Ecotrust found that an average of 90 percent of money invested in restoration stays in the state, and 80 percent stays in the county where a project is located.
5. Restoration projects create jobs for many different kinds of workers: construction workers, landscapers, heavy equipment operators, and technical experts such as engineers and wildlife biologists.
6. Restoration projects create demand for local businesses such as plant nurseries, quarries, and others. For more information, visit our restoration jobs portal.